So, we all know about Billy’s diet restrictions. Coming up with a starch-resembling food item at dinner is a challenge. He can eat winter squash, so lately it’s been 101 ways to eat butternut. This is one we like. And it is literally three-ingredients and ten minutes.
The biggest pain to this is peeling the squash. Sometimes Sprouts will have it already peeled and cubed at essentially the same per-pound price, but not always. So, when I have to (gasp) prep my own, this is what I do: Slice the knob off the top and the bottom, so it will stand up on the cutting board. Then, I just take a veg peeler in long strokes down the length of the squash. (There is nothing pervy about this, unless your husband is watching you do it so make him leave the room.)
Once the peel’s off, it’s just a matter of slicing it in half longitudinally and then cubing.
So – to make it. For the two of us, I put half the cubes in a microwave-safe bowl. That’s about a pound of squash. Cover it with Saran, and microwave it. Do NOT add any liquid of any kind, or you will wind up with squash soup instead of puree. If you don’t have a microwave, roast it. Do not steam or boil because that will add too much moisture and again you’ll have soup.
Take it out, drain it if needed, add a tablespoon of butter and one half of a whole chipotle in adobo. Dump all that in the cuisinart and pulse til it’s gorgeous. Then it’s ready to go!
This is a new favorite at our house. It is fantastic with some grilled pork chops and collard greens, or a nice chicken breast and roasted broccoli.
- 1 # cubed butternut squash (or pumpkin)
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 whole chipotle pepper
- Put the squash in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 4-6 minutes until soft. Do not add any liquid or seasoning to the squash before cooking it.
- Put the cooked squash, butter and hot pepper in the food processor and pulse til puréed.
- We've tried this with Sriracha, and although it was delicious, my mouth was on fire for a long time. Wait until it is done to see if you need any salt or pepper - that chipotle adds all the seasoning we needed, but you may want some more.